A woman is the backbone of her family. The stronger she is, the family stands strong. Once a woman reaches 40, she feels her life is done, but 1/3rd of her life begins here. She is still young at 40 and her life starts here.
Meno means periods, pause means stop. The cessation of periods for more than a year is called menopause. It usually occurs between the ages of 40 and 50 years. Some women may experience what is called early menopause at the age of 35.
By Dr Nagarekha Hebsur
Obstetrician and gynaecologist
After 50 years, every woman should get her scans done if she is still menstruating to check her endometrial lining thickness (lining of the uterus). If it is more than 4mm, she needs a biopsy of the endometrium to rule out uterine cancer.
SYMPTOMS OF MENOPAUSE
Thinning of hair
Dryness of the skin and vagina
Lack of interest in sex
All of these symptoms are caused by a deficiency in the oestrogen hormone.
TESTS TO BE DONE
Blood sugar levels
FSH levels in the blood
Even if you are menstruating after 52 years, cancer could still be a threat.
Once a woman reaches 35, she needs to check her calcium and vitamin D3 levels in her blood every year. Start calcium and vitamin D3 tablets accordingly. If both are normal, there is no need to take them.
If she is menstruating even after 52 years, get a scan every year. If the endometrium is thick, go for a biopsy. Take symptomatic treatment for hot flashes, such as cold drinks or water. Apply ice packs to keep cool.
Menopause begins in the late 40s or early 50s for most women, and it normally lasts for a few years. And during this period, many women experience the above-mentioned symptoms of menopause. For relief from the menopause symptoms, women may use these home remedies.
- Use soaked methi or sprouted, boiled Kabul Chana, flax seed powder in your daily diet. These are rich in oestrogen hormones, so they will give you relief.
- Exercise is a must. At least 30 minutes of exercise every day and five days a week is a must.
- Do yoga, meditation, and walking.
- Avoid all whites, including sugar, maida and oil.
- Beware of weight gain, especially around the waistline.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dryness
- Consult your gynaecologist if you have bleeding or white discharges after menopause. Don’t neglect to consult your gynaecologist.
- Dryness in the vagina You can apply local creams
In addition, menopausal women are at a higher risk of several diseases, including osteoporosis.
You get backaches and body pains, especially as soon as you get up in the morning, so watch for this symptom too. Examine your calcium and vitamin D3 levels, take supplements, and exercise as needed.