Belagavi: In a disturbing incident, a five-year-old boy was killed after a glass-coated Manja thread slit his throat on Sunday evening. The deceased has been identified as Vardhan, a resident of Hattaragi village in Yamakanamaradi taluk.
According to the police, Vardhan was sitting on the petrol tank of the bike and his father was riding the bike when a stray Manja entangled his neck and slit the boy’s throat. They were on their way to their village after purchasing clothes for Deepavali festival when this unfortunate incident happened. The father noticed that the boy was bleeding; he stopped the bike and found that he had suffered serious injuries to his neck. The boy was rushed to the nearby hospital, but he was declared dead on arrival, said Malamaruti police.
The police said it is not yet clear whether the thread was lying on the road or if it just flew from somewhere else and entangled the boy’s neck. They said the incident happened on NH 4 near Gandhi Nagar fruit market.