Colombo: In a spectacular display of cricketing prowess, India clinched their 8th Asia Cup title by overpowering Sri Lanka with a resounding 10-wicket victory in the final of Asia Cup 2023 at Colombo’s R Premadasa Stadium on Sunday.
Opting to bat after winning the toss, Sri Lanka faced a devastating performance by Indian paceman Mohammed Siraj, who claimed an incredible six-wicket haul for just 21 runs in 7 overs. Siraj’s performance was nothing short of historic, as he picked his first five wickets in just 16 balls, jointly becoming the fastest in ODI cricket history. Supported by Jasprit Bumrah, who struck early to land the first blow, Siraj left Sri Lanka reeling and unable to recover.
Chasing a meager target, Shubman Gill and Ishan Kishan steered India to victory comfortably in just 7.1 overs.
- Batting Statistics (Sri Lanka):
- Pathum Nissanka: 2 runs off 4 balls.
- Kusal Perera: 0 runs off 2 balls.
- Kusal Mendis: 17 runs off 34 balls.
- Sadeera Samarawickrama: 0 runs off 2 balls.
- Charith Asalanka: 0 runs off 1 ball.
- Dhananjaya de Silva: 4 runs off 2 balls.
- Dasun Shanaka: 0 runs off 4 balls.
- Dunith Wellalage: 8 runs off 21 balls.
- Dushan Hemantha: 13 runs off 15 balls.
- Pramod Madushan: 1 run off 6 balls.
- Matheesha Pathirana: 0 runs off 1 ball.
- Bowling Figures (India):
- Jasprit Bumrah: 1 wicket for 23 runs in 5 overs.
- Mohammed Siraj: 6 wickets for 21 runs in 7 overs.
- Hardik Pandya: 3 wickets for 3 runs in 2.2 overs.
- Kuldeep Yadav: 0 wickets for 1 run in 1 over.
- India Batting Figures:
- Ishan Kishan: 23 runs off 18 balls.
- Shubman Gill: 27 runs off 19 balls.
- Sri Lanka Bowling Stats:
- Pramod Madushan: 21 runs in 2 overs.
- Matheesha Pathirana: 21 runs in 2 overs.
- Dunith Wellalage: 7 runs in 2 overs.
- Charith Asalanka: 1 run in 0.1 over.
The Hubli Express is on WhatsApp now, you can join the WhatsApp group by clicking the link https://chat.whatsapp.com/GGfNcYk081zKiAlNb2oI5d