Gadag: On Monday, the forest department’s eviction drive in Kelur village, in Mundaragi taluk, went horribly wrong. Official sources said that the forest department officials, along with their staff and police, arrived at the site to clear the encroachment, but two women opposed the drive and got into an argument with the police and forest department officials, and in the heat, two women consumed poison in their presence.
Saroja Patil and Nirmala Patil, who had consumed poison, were taken to Mundragi Taluk Hospital and then to Gadag Institute of Medical Sciences (GIMS) for advanced treatment.
Later in the evening, Deputy Commissioner M Sundresh Babu went to the GIMS to check about the ladies’ health, but doctors informed him that Nirmala Patil, one of the ladies whose condition was not good, had died, said the government officials.
Doctors said Saroja’s health condition is stable
The DC conveyed his condolences to Nirmala’s family and directed forest department staff to ensure that no one was treated unfairly during the eviction drive.
The Hubli Express is on WhatsApp now, you can join the WhatsApp group by clicking the link
You can follow us on Facebook @HubliExpress